Tuesday, January 27, 2015

15 BEFORE 16

"Every New Year allows you to start a new phase of life's journey with optimism and confidence. Take the wheel as the captain of your own ship, chart your course and get on your way. There may be rough seas ahead, but there will also be enough achievement, growth, reconciliation and true joy to make the journey worth it." - Michael Josephson
While the rest of the world reflected about the year that had gone by and penned their resolution(s) at the start of the year, I've only managed to do so recently. Better late than never. 

It had been a whirlwind of activities and celebrations since I returned from San Francisco that I barely had time to rest. It didn't help that I was battling the flu, sore throat and the works. 

Last year I created a list of 14 resolutions/tasks/challenges/goals which I had hope to achieve before 2015. It served as a constant reminder and helped me work towards my goals and I'm elated that I'd managed to strike off 11 out of 14. Some areas needed improvement and some became a daily habit, so don't be surprised if you see something similar popping up in this year's list. 

§

1. BE GRATEFUL

Put this at the top of my list again because I'm a firm believer of expressing gratitude on a daily basis. Doesn't matter if it's for something small or big. You'll be surprised how it affects you. This year, rather than simply giving thanks in my heart, I've got a myself a Gratitude Journal and have been writing in it faithfully every night before bed time. 

2. A HEALTHIER LIFESTYLE

Starting running after a 10 year hiatus and I almost "died" the first time I ran. Now I can at least run 2.4km without my lungs collapsing. The distance might be short but it's a huge improvement for someone who hasn't ran for the longest time. Apart from running, I've also been swimming once a week. Aiming to increase it to twice a week. A healthier lifestyle also means sleeping before midnight, eating more greens and drinking more water. 

3.CREATE

The second half of 2014 saw my passion for design took a backseat due to the hectic work schedule. This year I want to make more time to create and design. Be it in nail art, floral arrangements or crafting. 

4. LEARN A NEW LANGUAGE

Have been putting off learning Spanish; no more excuses this year. 

5. LEARN TO PLAY THE KEYBOARD

One of my childhood dreams was to learn to play the piano; love the soothing melody that a piano creates and it never fails to calm me down. I'm unable to get a piano due to space constraints so the alternative is the electronic keyboard. Been thinking about learning it for years and I'm going to make sure it happens this year. 

6. SING MORE

I love to sing and used to sing often. Over the year I sang less and realized how much I miss it. So, this year I'm going to sing as often as I can. In the shower, in the room, at the KTV, whenever I can. 

7. TRY EVERYTHING AT LEAST ONCE

I'm a creature of habit and I want to break away from that. Have done so a couple of times recently, I'm surprised by the pleasant results of some experiences. 

8. START SAYING NO

Ever been in a situation when you are tired and all you want is to head home but your co-workers insisted you join them for after-work activities? Say no and you'll probably get labelled as "anti-social". Agree and you end up being tired and grouchy. Having been caught in similar situations countless times, I've decided to take a stand and say NO. My well-being is more important, period. 

9. GET OUT MORE

Figured it's time for me to go out more instead of staying home on weekends. Check out places/cafes which I've been meaning to. Watch the movies that I want to. Or simply going for walks around the neighbourhood. 

10. MORE SOLO ADVENTURES

I realized how much I miss going on solo trips after the trip to San Francisco. Those were the days when I travelled alone, visiting places I want, when I want. Meeting people and making new friends. Creating treasured memories. 

11. SPEND TIME WITH THOSE I CARE

Thos who knows me well knows that I'm one who treasures friendships/relationships. Sad to say, I've not been spending much time with those I hold close to my heart due to work commitments. This year I want to put in more effort and make time for those who truly cares and are always by my side. Moreover it's proven that spending time with those you care makes you happier. 

12. GIVE MORE

Giving here doesn't simply mean giving money. I want to give my time, to help those in need. 

13. ROOM MAKEOVER

This is long overdue. I have all these ideas in my head but somehow I've not got down to planning it. Time to put the ideas and thoughts in action this year. 

14. MAKE TIME

To do what I want, what I love. Basically all that are listed in this list. 

15. FALL IN LOVE

Contrary to belief, I didn't choose to remain single by choice. With a huge chunk of time taken up by work and the balance split between other commitments, I barely have time to rest less date. Moreover I rarely meet new people. Which is why this is at the bottom of the list. It's something which I hope will happen but if it doesn't, life still goes on. 

§

So, this is my list for 2015. It looks daunting but I'm confident that I will be achieve all if not 90% of them. 

No comments: