Thursday, January 09, 2014

14 BEFORE 15

HAPPY 2014 everyone!

It's the 9th day of the new year and my first blog post for 2014. Haven't been updating for a while as December was a really hectic month; helping my sister and brother-in-law prepare for their relocation, spring cleaning, back to back events, preparation for Christmas and spending time with family and friends. 

Back in November I was thinking happily that I can finally catch up with rest in December since there wasn't much going on but before I knew it, December became packed with activities! So much 4.00am bed times became a regular occurrence. 

I have to admit that age is really catching up. Sleeping at such ungodly hours for a stretch took a toil on my body and I ended nursing a major bout of sinus infection, sore throat and cough on Boxing Day. 15 days and completion of 2 courses of medication later, I'm now on the road to recovery. 

With all the festive celebrations over, I'm slowly settling back to my routine and there's no better time than now to update this space. 

"May your coming year be filled with magic and dreams and good madness. I hope you read some fine books and kiss someone who thinks you are wonderful. And don't forget to make some art -- write or draw or sing or live as only you can. And I hope somewhere in the next year, you surprise yourself." - Neil Gaiman

At the end of each year I will do a yearly review, but am leaving that for the next post. Today, I want to write about the list of resolutions and goals for this brand new year. The last time I made a list of resolutions was in 2010 and since then, I've not given much thought to it. Towards the end of last year however, I decided that I'm going to start making one for 2014; not only resolutions, but challenges, goals that I hope to complete before 2014 comes to an end. 

§

"It's not happiness that brings us gratitude. It's gratitude that brings us happiness." - Monterey Bay Holistic Alliance

1. BE GRATEFUL

For everything, no matter how small it might be. Not just today, tomorrow, but every other day. 


§

"There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loots on Treasure Island." - Walt Disney

2. READ MORE

Last year saw me reading lesser and slower. While I used to finish a book within 3 days, it has now double, triple even. I used to read in the train and during meal times, but ever since iPhone came into my life, having a book in my bag became almost non-existence. 

I only realized how much I miss reading the other day when I was spring cleaning my room; looking at my collection of books stacked above my desk way up to the ceiling - I miss checking out new releases; the joy of unwrapping a new book and flipping through the pages; highlighting quotes, sentences and words that jumped out at me. 

This year, books are going to replace my iPhone 5 when I'm in the train and during meal times. 

§

"Fill your paper with breathings of your heart." - William Worthsworth 

3. WRITE MORE

As a kid, I would choose composition over solving a mathematical equation anytime. Even when I entered adulthood and stepped into the working world, I continued to write daily in my journals. The reason for starting this blog was also because of my love for writing. Many a times, words would accompany the pictorials; I find it weird to post only photos unless I'm too tired. Writing reviews gave me the opportunity to express my thoughts in a professional manner.

But work and commitments saw me writing lesser and lesser, which in turn gave me plenty of writer's block. So many times I gave up after writing a couple of sentences. Which explains why there were times I hardly update this space. 

This year, I hope to devote a couple of hours each week to sit down and do nothing but write.

§

"You have to leave the city of your comfort and go into the  wilderness of your intuition. What you will discover will be wonderful. What you will discover is yourself." - Alan Alda


4. BE INSPIRED

Inspiration is a necessity in life life. I work better when I'm inspired. I write better when I'm inspired. This year , I want to remember to find inspiration daily. 

§

"A good laugh and a long sleep are the best cures in the doctor's books." - Irish Proverb

5. STICK TO A HUMANE SLEEP SCHEDULE

They say we need lesser hours of sleep to function as we get older but that's not the case for me. I need at least eight hours to function well. So, no more 4.00am bed time and surviving only on 5 hours of sleep. It's back to sleeping before midnight and a minimum of 8 hours sleep.

§

"A healthy life means a happy life, a happy life means a healthy life." - Melanie M. Koulourie

6. EXERCISE REGULARLY

Signed up for a yoga membership at the start of the year. With the yoga studio a stone throw away from home, there's no more excuse not to exercise. Have also been waking up at 6.00am for the last few days to accompany Mummy love for her morning walks.

 §

"I've learned that it's not what I have in my life but who I have in my life that counts." - Unknown

7. SPEND MORE TIME WITH MY LOVE ONES

My love one remains my top priority even though I will be taking on more work as compared to last year. Money can be earned, but relationships once lost can never be replaced. 

§

"Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. It means to be in the midst of the those things and still be calm in your heart." - Unknown

8. BE AT PEACE WITH MYSELF

I can be quite the perfectionist at times and sometimes at the expense of tiring myself out. I have to constantly remind myself that I'm only human and am not perfect. If I had done my best, it's good enough. Life does not have to be perfect to be wonderful. 

§

"Photography is an art of observation. It has little to do with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them." - Elliot Erwitt

9. TAKE MORE PHOTOS

Experimented with still life and minimalist photography last year and I love it! Hope to experiment more and shower more love to my DSLR.

§

"Organization isn't about perfection. It's about efficiency, reducing stress and clutter, saving time and money, and improving the overall quality of life." - Christina Scalise

10. BE MORE ORGANIZED 

In every aspects of my life. Create that long overdue spreadsheet for my nail polish collection. Tidying my desk every day and not only when I can't see the table top. Doing the laundry once every two days. 

§

"Above all, challenge yourself. You may well surprise yourself at that strengths you have, at what you can accomplish." - Cecil Springer

11. BE OPEN TO CHALLENGES

More often than not I'm always a little hesitant about accepting challenges/changes because I'm afraid I will not do will. Yet I know I will never learn or improve if I'm afraid. As Oprah Winfrey said, "failure is the stepping stone to success." Challenges or difficulties, come what may, I'm all set and ready to accept you. 

§

"The desire to create is the deepest yearning of the human soul." - Dieter F. Uchtdorf

12. CREATE MORE

Design and craft are my passion. The only time when I can sit still is when I'm designing, crafting, or creating nail art and arranging flowers. This year, I hope to create more printable, cards, nail art designs for Nails Talk and finally, wrap a hand bouquet for my girl friends. 

§

"Commit yourself to lifelong learning. The most valuable asset you have is your mind and what you put into it." - Brian Tracy

13. MASTER CALLIGRAPHY

I make it a point to learn something every year. Last year, it was flower arrangement, this year it's calligraphy. I'd actually learnt in back in school but I stop practicing along the way. Thanks to Trisha who reignited my passion. Have taken the first step by signing up for an online calligraphy course. Next is to purchase the tools and I'm all set. 

§

"Every new day crowns us with new beginnings and glorious possibilities. Be sure to make every moment in this journey call life count." - Sandra Lugo

14. REVAMP THIS SPACE

Figured it's time to give a space a make-over as it turns 8 this year. 

§

And that's my list of 14 resolutions and goals before we say hello to 2015. Here's to an amazing and exciting 2014!

No comments: