Friday, October 25, 2013

PERTH TRAVEL DIARY IV

After much procrastination and delays, I'm happy to finally have the time to sit down and blog about part four of the trip to Perth, Western Australia last November. Almost a year had gone by since the trip and I'm still blogging about it. So much for trying to be diligent. 

A picture says a thousand words, so I shall save the words for now and let the photos do the talking. 
Woke up early on a bright Sunday morning and spent the day at Fremantle with my relatives. Was looking forward to this trip because I could finally have something non-vegetarian. 

My Aunt and her family are vegetarians and I had gone vegetarian for this trip since I was staying with them. It wasn't difficult adjusting to being a vegetarian for a week; took it as a chance to cleanse the body system. Prior to the trip though I had an agreement with my Aunt that I would be excused from having vegetarian for a meal and that was lunch at Fremantle. I had been craving for the delicious Fish and Chips at Cicerello's and no way was I not going to have that. Thankfully my Aunt was understanding and agreed. 
A short drive later and we arrived at Fremantle. After making arrangements on the meeting time and point I then made my way to Cicerello's for lunch. Some stops to capture the beautiful scenery and I found myself at Cicerello's. Despite the crowds, I managed to find a table, placed my order for a seafood platter and then it was time to tuck in. 
The food was how I remember it to be. The fish, shrimps and calamari was fresh, tender, juicy and the batter was fried to perfection without being oily. Just thinking about it now is enough to make me salivate. However, the seafood platter was too big a portion and I couldn't finish it. Should had stuck to the Fish and Chips. After washing down whatever I could with a bottle of Schweppes Lemonade and satisfying my craving, it was time to head back to meet the folks. 
With the sea breeze as my companion, I took a stroll along Fisherman's Wharf, taking the chance to burn off the calories and enjoying the beautiful sights. 

44 Mews Road
Fremantle, Western Australia, 6160
Opening hours: 7 days a week from 10.00am till late (Closed on Christmas Day)
Fremantle Market, a place that I never get tired of no matter how many times I've been there. A must visit for me whenever I'm in Western Australia. 

There's so much to see and do. No fretting about not knowing what to buy as Fremantle Market has it all with over 150 stalls. There only worry is not having enough time to shop. Uniquely crafted gifts and wares from independent artists and fabulous food retailers. A perfect way to spend the weekend. 

84 South Terrace
Fremantle, Western Australia, 6160
Opening hours: Every Friday, Saturday and Sunday
Next stop on the itinerary was the Roundhouse located at Arthur Head, a few minutes drive from Fremantle Markets. Built in the late 1830 and opened in 1831, the Roundhouse was the first permanent building to be built in the Swan River Colony and is the oldest building still standing in the Western Australia. 

It was used to house colonial and indigenous prisoners until 1886 after which it was used as a police lockup until 1900 where it became the living quarters for the Chief Constable and his family. It was vested in the Fremantle Harbour Trust for preservation in 1936 and in 1966, the Port Authority opened the building to the public for two hours daily. This attraction was ran by the Western Australian Historical Society for a while before it was transferred to the City of Fremantle in 1982 and since then it has been open daily to the public. 
With Teryn in tow, we took a short tour of the Roundhouse with the strong winds sweeping and hair whipping across our faces. Though it's called the Roundhouse, the building has 12 sides. As most people preferred to keep a fair distance from the gaols, it was from this far perspective that the building appeared to be round. Hence the adoption of the name "Roundhouse". 

Midway through our tour, the Volunteer Guide asked if we would like to have a go on the stock prop, an instrument used as punishment for minor offences back in the olden days. It was really uncomfortable and it's not hard understanding why it was used for public humiliation then. 

Captain Ln
Fremantle, Western Australia, 6160
Opening hours: Daily between 10.30am to 3.30pm (Closed on Good Friday and Christmas)
After the tour of the Roundhouse ended, we then drove on to our last stop for the day, the Fremantle War Memorial located on the Monument Hill. Overlooking the Fremantle Harbour, Garden Island and Rottnest Island (to the west) and Darling Ranges (to the east), the Monument Hill is surrounded by beautiful rose gardens and well maintained lawns and is the best vantage point to look out over Fremantle and Garden Island. It's also the highest natural point of elevation between the Indian Ocean and Darling Ranges. 
Sitting on an 11 acres public and hill, comprising of a large obelisk, the Fallen Soldiers' and Sailors' Memorial and encircled on three sides by eight smaller memorials, the memorial commemorates the losses of World War I and II, the Korean War, Malayan Emergency and Vietnam War. 

Here we took our time appreciating the meaningful architecture and enjoying the view before calling it a day. Despite being to Fremantle several times, this was my first time stepping foot into the Roundhouse and Memorial Hill. 

Corner of High Street and Swanbourne Street
Fremantle, Western Australia, 6160
Opening hours: Daily

If you are visiting Fremantle anytime soon, I would encourage you to take some time to visit these places. It's definitely worth your time will all the stunning views. 

Till the next, have a wonderful Friday and lovely weekend ahead!

No comments: