Monday, December 12, 2011

New York Travel Diary - Day 4

Christmas 2010

Christmas has always been my favourite festival since I was a kid. 
Having grown up in the world of Enid Blyton, 
I've always been fascinated by the idea of a White Christmas 
along with rows of houses all decked in Christmas decorations.

Christmas last year was definitely one of my 
most memorable Christmas ever. 
First of all, it has always been my dream to have a 
White Christmas and I finally fulfilled this dream last year. 
Although it only started snowing on Boxing Day, 
but there are 12 days of Christmas, so it still counts as White Christmas.

Secondly, as I've mentioned earlier, I have always 
love to see houses all decked out in Christmas decorations 
and lightings but you don't really get to see them in Singapore. 
My wish finally came true when we headed down to Queens, Astoria. 
The houses there seemed to have jumped straight out 
from the storybooks which I had read as a kid! 
Santa Clauses, snowmen, reindeers and even Winnie the Pooh! 
One of owners of the house which we passed by even 
came out to talk to us and they actually 
allowed me to go up and take photos up close! 

Lastly, I almost kissed goodbye to my iPhone in NYC on Christmas. 
Went to one Starbuck's washroom after the visit 
to the Empire State Building and the careless me 
actually left my phone in the washroom! 
I only realized it 10 minutes after I left Starbucks 
and I was on the verge of tears when I couldn't find my phone in my bag. 
In my heart, I was thinking that my phone was going to be gone for good 
cause there was a long queue when I came out of the washroom 
and 10 minutes had passed since I left Starbucks. 

Luckily I was just across the street from Starbucks and 
I quickly dashed across the road and barge into Starbucks. 
Headed straight for the counter to see if 
anyone had passed my phone to the counter staff 
but no one got anything so I headed to the washroom 
and there was still a long queue at the washroom. 
I could only cut the queue and apologised to those who were waiting in line, 
luckily they were quite sympathetic to my situation. 
Dashed into the washroom the moment the occupant came out 
but my phone wasn't in there and the lady who came out from the washroom didn't see my phone either. 

With a blank mind, I walked back to the counter again, hoping to try my luck again. 
And...this time round, I strike gold!!! 
The guy who had gone into the washroom after me had picked up my phone and passed it to the counter staff! 
Don't ask me why they couldn't find it initially. 
I really didn't know what to say except to thank the staff profusely. 
After that huge scare, I made sure I kept my phone in my phone and not to take it out unless necessary.

Anyway, other than the above mentioned, 
Christmas in NYC was a simple affair. 
Took a walk from Downtown Manhattan (where we were staying) 
all the way to Empire State Building. 
Most shops were closed on Christmas and the streets were quiet 
but I definitely enjoyed the walk, taking in all the sights and storing them in my heart 
cause I know that it's going to be a while before I get to enjoy these sights again.
Ended the night with a simple meal at one of the diner in Queens, Astoria.

All right then, enough of words for now, shall let the photos do the rest of the talking!


Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
Spot my name // Starbucks, one of regular stop // Walk down SoHo // Washington Square Park //
Familiar structure from  the movie "I'm Legend" //  New York University // Quiet neighborhood //
The Union Square Holiday Market // Flatiron Building // Madison Square Garden // 
Scattered Light Installation //  Museum of Sex // Prayers for Peace // Counting down to 2011 //
Observation Deck of Empire State Building // View from the top // Yummy hot dogs from Papaya Dog // Queens, Astoria // 
Of Christmas lights and decorations // Mike's Diner for dinner // Wide selection of Pringles!


No comments: