Wednesday, October 21, 2009

MY SISTER'S KEEPER

People who knows me calls me a book-worm. Books are my other love apart from my family and friends. There are those who feel that books are a waste of money but not me. I love the feeling of flipping through the pages of a book. 

I'm one who doesn't fancy borrowing books from the library cause of the deadline. There are times when I can finish a book within 2 days but at times when I'm swamped with work, I can take up to a month to finish a book. So I rather buy a book and read it at my own pace. 

For the past 3 weeks, I've ditched the usual chick-lit for some serious stuff. It started with a trip to the book store looking for new books when I picked up this particular book and decided to give it a try after reading the summary. 

It took me all of 2 days to finish the book. After which I went to purchase another 5 more books by the same author. Having finished all 6 books, I have to admit that her books are fantastic and more often than not, she writes about moral issues there there is no right or wrong answer. 

One of the books has been turned into a major motion picture and it will be released in Singapore tomorrow and I'm going to catch the movie this weekend!

§

Photobucket

Here's a summary of the book:

Anna is not sick, but she might as well be. By age thirteen, she has undergone countless surgeries, transfusions, and shots so that her older sister, Kate, can somehow fight the leukemia that has plagued her since childhood. The product of preimplantation genetic diagnosis, Anna was conceived as a bone marrow match for Kate - a life and a role that she has never questioned...until now. 

Like most teenagers, Anna is beginning to question who she truly is. But unlike most teenagers, she has always been defined in terms of her sister - and so Anna makes a decision that for most would be unthinkable... a decision that will tear her family apart and perhaps have fatal consequences for the sister she loves. 

My Sister's Keeper examines what it means to be a good parent, a good sister, a good person. Is it morally correct to do whatever it takes to save a child's life... even if that means infringing upon the rights of another? Is it worth trying to discover who you really are, if that quest makes you like yourself less?


To know more about Jodi Picoult and her books, check out her official website at http://www.jodipicoult.com/.

If you have the time, do read the book before catching the movie, you might be in for a little surprise! 

No comments: