Monday, August 10, 2009

Fantastic Long Weekend

We are almost half way through the month of August and if I have to use only 1 word to describe how I've been feeling in this month; it's FANTASTIC!!! And I enjoyed myself so much during all the 3 days of the National Day long weekend that didn't want it to end. :):):)

07.08.2009
Friday

Met up with one of ever best buddy, Mr. Gary for an impromptu dinner date at Raffles City. (We don't believe in planning 1 month or 2 weeks before as to when to meet, we just meet up as and when we like.)

As I wanted to try out the tempura at the food-court at Raffles City, we decided to settled our dinner there. One thing that I like about this Japanese stall in the food-court is that you can pick your own of tempura!!! They have a wide array of selection as compared to those set meals which you find it so often. The usual tempura that you will find are mainly of prawns and vegetables (brinjal, pumpkin, etc) and most of the time I will end up not eating the vegetables because I don't really fancy them. Over here, I can pick and choose the ingredients that I like and which I know I will definitely finished it instead of wasting it. You can also order an order of rice, soba or udon to go along with your tempura.

Photobucket
My choice: Prawns, crabstick, scallop, sweet potato & golden mushroom and udon.

Photobucket

As Gary needed to satisfy his caffine addiction, we decided to have coffee at Cedele at the Market Place after dinner. I'm not a coffee person so lemon tea was my choice.

Photobucket

Decided to take the bus home instead of the MRT so Gary decided to accompany me to the bus-stop and wait for the bus. In the end, he regretted his choice!!! After waiting for almost 45 minutes and with 4 of the buses (which goes to his place) gone, the bus that I was supposed to take was still NOT in sight!!! So much for the Express Service. So I told him to just get on his bus should the next one comes before mine. True enough, the next bus came so he got on and what happened next? My bus came!!! Lesson learnt here? Never get him to accompany me to wait for the bus in future. :P

08.08.2009
Saturday

It was supposed to be my turn to work but I decided to take a off day instead. I didn't want to go all the way back just to spend 4 hours at work and then make my way home again.

And I decided to do something which I've been thinking of doing for the past few weeks and that was to BAKE a sponge sandwich!!! I used to bake a lot in the past but for the past few years I have not done any baking at all. I've already bought all the ingredients on Thursday so after doing my laundry, I started to prepare the ingredients and started my baking session.


SPONGE SANDWICH
Photobucket



Ingredients:
200g plain flour
200g castor sugar
7 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla essence
2 tablespoons of sugar for rolling
3 tablespoons of strawberry jam
3 tablespoons of blackcurrant jam

Photobucket

1. Pre-heat the oven to Reg. 6. Grease and line the baking tin.

Photobucket

2. Whisk eggs and sugar till the mixture is thick and fluffy.

Photobucket

3. Fold in flour and add vanilla essence.

Photobucket

4. Pour mixture into prepared baking tin and shake gently to level.
5. Bake for 10 - 12 minutes.
6. Beat the kam gently with a fork.
7. Cut a piece of grease proof paper 3cm bigger than the baking tin.

Photobucket
*Ignore the little holes; I used a fork to poke to see if it was baked completely.
8. Turn the cake in the prepared grease proof paper.
9. Loosen the sides of the paper on the bottom of the cake and carefully peel it off.
10. Trim the edges of the cake with a sharp knife and cut halfway through the cake.
11. Quickly spread the cake with jam.
12. Place one half of the cake on top of the other.

Photobucket
*I know the sandwich doesn't look so good here but I swear that the taste was pretty good. :):):)

13. Remove the paper and cool on a cake rack. Cut into desired size.


After not baking for so long, it was a little tiring at the start but once I started, I remembered the wonderful feeling that I used to get from baking. I'm going to bake more often from now on. :)

DS came to pick me up for dinner at Hooters and after that we decided to pop in at LUNAR. It's our 2nd time to a club together. Sometimes I find that the both of us can really be very crazy. All these years we have never planned where we want to go. It's always decided right on the spot. Even when we catch a movie, we don't buy the tickets beforehand, we just go to the cinema, check the timing and get the tickets if the movie that we want to catch is available. Sometimes we only decide on the movie right on the spot as well.

After an hour of fun, laughter and 2 drinks, we drove over to The Cathay to watch the movie "Overheard". It's one of the more interesting Chinese movie that I have watched in recent years with the interesting plot and the strong cast (Louis Koo, Daniel Woo, Lau Ching Wan and more). If you have not watch it, this is one movie which you can consider catching in the upcoming weekend.


Photobucket


09.08.2009
Sunday
HAPPY BIRTHDAY SINGAPORE

My better half of National Day was spent at home with Mummy watching 烈火雄心 III and ironing my clothes. Once everything was done, it was time to get ready to meet DS at Swissotel for our National Day staycation.

It's not our first time at Swissotel but this time it's a different room (previously we stayed at the executive club room) and sadly we didn't manage to get a room with a view overlooking the floating platform because it's fully booked.

We didn't even manage to swim because the pool was so crowded with so many families staying there to catch the fireworks display and with a private event going on at the pool-side. So we decided to just go back to our room and watch the National Day Parade on TV instead.


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket
*The not so wonderful view from our room's balcony*


Went down to the pool-side at about 8.15 p.m. to get ready to watch the fire-works display. Even though it was pretty packed with the other hotel guests, we managed to get a good spot. And the fireworks display was simply spectacular!!! Till now, DS still can't understand why I love fire-works so much but even then he will still make sure that I'll get to watch it at least twice every National Day (during the rehearsals & on National Day itself).


Photobucket




10.08.2009
Monday

Checked out of the hotel and went to have our favourite duck rice for lunch before DS sent me home. Spent the rest of the afternoon reading newspaper, watching "UP" on DVD (sadly, it's not really that fantastic) and completed more ironing.

In the evening, it was a simple dinner at Shin at Vivo City and then to watch my 40th movie for this year, "G.I.Joe - The Rise of Cobra". And I have to say that it's so much more interesting and better than "Transformer". I didn't really want to catch it initially but since DS wanted to watch it, I decided to go along and I didn't regret my choice.


Photobucket

Eye lids are getting heavier and heavier; it's time to sleep now. Another long day awaits me ahead later on but I'm so looking forward to the weekend ahead because there's going to be more activites with the people I love.

Good night :)

No comments: