Friday, March 23, 2007

The Rib Bone

Am back home...feels so good after removing all the make-up from my face.

Was on standby yesterday and was seriously hoping that I wouldn't be activated but...i STILL got ACTIVATED. Luckily it was only to Surabaya and the happy thing was my batch girl Samantha was on the same flight. Luckily, our crew-in-charge did not separate us so we managed to work in Economy Class togther. It was a FULL flight (nothing new) out of Singapore but luckily coming back, it was quite a light load, only 58 pax in Economy Class.

He came to pick me up (can save cab-fare). Had dinner at Waraku but no appetite to eat cause of my right eye. It was in pain...guess it's the contact lenses again. My eyes are intolerant to contact lenses after I was infected with cornea ulcer the other time and I'm actually not supposed to wear contact lenses again, but I CAN"T see without them and has anyone seen a flight stewardess wearing SPECTACLES on flight? I'm supposed to go for Lasik but with the recent infection scare, I've decided to put it off for the time being. The only thing I can do now is not to wear contact lenses for long periods of time and I've got to apply an eye gel into my eyes every night before I sleep.

Enough of that. Here's a story that I like to share. Found it on my desk when I was tidying my desk the other day.

-----

A girl in love asked her boyfriend:

Girl (G): Tell me, who do you love most in this world?
Boy (B): You, of course!

(G): In your heart, who am I to you?

The boy thought for a while and looked intently into her eyes and said,

(B): You are my RIB BONE.

In the Bible, it was said that when God saw that Adam was lonely, and while Adam was sleeping, God took one of Adam's rib bone and created Eve. Every man has been searching for his missing rib bone, only when he finds the woman of his life, then he will no longer feel the lingering ache in his heart.

After their wedding, the couple led a sweet and happy life for a long while. However, the youthful couple began to drift apart due to the busy schedules of their modern life, the never-ending worries of daily problems and their life became mundane.

All the challenges posed by the harsh realities of life began to gnaw away their dreams and love for each other. The couple began to quarrel more and each quarrel became more heated. One day, after a huge quarrel, the girl ran out of the house. At the opposite side of the road, she shouted, "You don't love me!".

The boy hated her childishness and out of impulse, shouted, "Maybe it was a MISTAKE for us to be together! You were NEVER my missing rib bone!".

Suddenly, she turned quiet and stood there for a long while. He regretted what he had said but words spoken are like poured away water; you can never take it back. With tears, she went home to pack her stuff and was determined in breaking up. Before she left the house, she said, "If I'm really not your missing rib bone, please let me go." She continued, "It's less painful this way, let us go our separate ways and search for our own partners."

Five years have gone by since. He had never remarried but he had tried to find out about her life indirectly. She had left the country and came back. She had married a foreigner and divorced. He felt anguished that she had waited for him.

On a dark and lonely night, he lit his cigarette and felt the lingering ache in his heart. He couldn't bring himself to admit he was missing HER.

One day, they finally met at the airport, a place of many reunions and goodbyes. He was going away on a business trip and she was standing there alone, with just the security door separating them. She smiled at him gently.

(B): How are you?
(G): I'm fine. How about you? Have you found your missing rib bone?
(B): Nope.
(G): I'll be flying back to New York on the next flight.
(B): I'll be back in 2 weeks' time. Give me a call when you are back. You know my number, nothing's changed.

With a smile, she turned around and waved goodbye. Goodbye...is it forever not meeting each other?

One week later, he heard of her death. She had perished in New York, in the even that shocked the world. Midnight, once again, he lit his cigarette and like before, he felt the lingering ache in his heart. He finally knew, she was his missing rib bone that he had carelessly broken.

Sometimes, people say things in the moment of fury. Most often than not, the outcome(s) could be disastrous and detrimental. We vent 99% of our FRUSTRATIONS at our LOVED ONES and even though we know we ought to "Think Twice Act Wise", it's often easier said than done. Things happen day by day, which are beyond our control. Especially at this moment of the century when the most undesirable events are happening at the other end of the world. Let us treasure every moment of our lives and everyone in our lives.

"Tomorrow never comes; give and take what you have today."

No comments: